Friday, June 19, 2009

What's For Lunch?

Yesterday, my sister and I went out to try some Oaxacan Mexican food. Today's "Adventures in Food" takes us to a different continent across the Pacific ocean: Asia. In another unassuming strip mall, but located in a different part of the county known for its Vietnamese offerings, I procured some interesting items for your enjoyment.

And without further ado, I present for you: steamed bananas.

These are smaller versions of what you traditionally find in an American grocery store. By steaming these bananas, the natural sweetness of the fruit is released. Raw, I think these bananas taste young, like a green banana with more intensity of the bitter flavor. I like these bananas, and they are a great choice for a healthy dessert as they satisfy even those with a veritable sweet tooth like me.

And then guess what I had? Take a closer look to what's in the bowl.


Are you still stymied? How about this?

That's right, my friends, that them thar thing is indeed a stewed chicken foot, selected from a variety dim sum offerings. I am told that they are quite the delicacy in certain parts of the world, but I have never had the great fortune to try them. Until today. And I'm telling you, I did this for you, dear readers. Really, I did. Because I care.

I tasted the chicken foot, taking my first bite gingerly because I figured there would be small bones. And I was right. The textures is a bit chewy, along the lines of octopus or calamari. But the taste itself seemed to be more in the not-too-sweet, not-too-spicy sauce made from (at least from what my not-terribly-sophisticated palate could discern): tomatoes; sesame seeds; a bit of saltiness from soy sauce, perhaps; oil; black beans. Overall, this dish was pretty good, not unpleasant but not particularly memorable. It's certainly not going to be on my list of choices for a last meal.

And guess what? I'm still here, so I survived this installment of "Adventures in Food."

If you are so inclined, all this can be yours for $2 for the bananas and $1.51 for the chicken feet, including tax. Tell me you aren't tempted.

1 comment: