Monday, June 8, 2009

Dateland


First up on this desert tour: Dateland, AZ. I didn't really see much of the town, other than the convenience store (which, by the way, is practically brand new, and the bathrooms are virtually sparkling clean). This location also claims to be home of the "World Famous Date Shake." Which of course, being world famous and all, I had to try (in spite of some protest from my hips). It is creamy (Imagine that: ice cream is creamy! Shhhh...don't tell anyone that I know the secret.) and almost cloyingly sweet. I wanted to drink more, but the combination of vanilla soft-serve ice cream and fresh dates was too sweet, even for my taste, and believe you me, that is pretty hard to do. So maybe my hips will thank me later. I'm still waiting for that. Huh.


But it is good and definitely worth a try. I just recommend sharing. To note, they also have other flavors, including pineapple, peanut butter and cactus. Next time I'm going to try the cactus.


Back on the road, and it's full-steam ahead to Tucson.

And now for some randomness (since that's not something I'm lacking): There's nothing like a big yellow Waffle House sign in the sky to welcome one to Tucson. But I skipped the lure of waffles and syrup for the fare at The Cup Cafe in the Hotel Congress.

Stay tuned for the next episode of "As The Road Turns." Coming soon to a computer near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment