Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Sweet Stuff


I like treats, in case you can't tell (ones that involve sugar rank high on my list). And I like to give them even more than I like to get them. So whenever I go on a trip, I try to bring some treats back for loved ones.

So on my recent road trip to Arizona, I picked up a few edible goodies to give as gifts. I grabbed a bottle of steak sauce, some cactus marmalade and these jellies.

Check out the description of these candies:

The brilliant magenta colored fruit of
the prickly pear cactus plant is grown
on sun drenched deserts and watered
naturally by our generous monsoon
rains. Known as the "Rosy Gem of the
Desert," the succulent prickly pear
cactus fruit produces a rich, fruity
flavor with distinctive color,
clarity, and delicate aroma.


I think that this cactus candy's main-selling feature is that it's covered in sugar. It has a subtle distinct cactus flavor, but I'm struggling to describe it in any other way because there isn't anything that I know of that tastes like cactus. Other than, you know, cactus.


But I have long been a fan of jellied candies. I love the gleaming interior and the sparkling sugar. I wouldn't say that these candies have leaped to the top of my list in terms of my favorites (Peanut M&Ms are going to be hard to pass), but the fun was in trying something new.

I didn't have high expectations for these candies; I bought them because they were unique, and I had never tried them before. It's good to try new things. You know what they* say, "Try everything once."

*I have no idea who "they" actually are, but I'll trust their judgment. It hasn't failed me yet, at least as far as food is concerned. There are definitely some things I'm not going to try once, like jumping off a bridge without a bungee cord or parachute.

1 comment: