Friday, July 3, 2009

Sometimes It's the Little Things that Make a Big Difference

2 People

This post could also be called "How the Kindness from Two Strangers Made My Day."

While running some errands this morning, a woman told me that she really liked my dress and that she thought it was pretty. That comment alone pretty much put me in a very pleasant state of mind, and I started thinking about how sometimes it's just little things that can make a big difference in people's lives.

You've probably heard about people practicing random acts of kindness, and you may have done this yourself. Paying for someone's toll fares and stopping to change the tire for someone on the way to the hospital to visit a dying relative are just two of the ones I've heard about over the years. But today I was reminded of how this manifests itself in my own life.

Later on, I stopped at Costco to pick up some pizza for lunch for my co-workers who have to work today. I wanted to order a soda while I was waiting, but I decided against it, rationalizing that I could save that money for something else.

And then, while I was waiting, a lady came up and offered me a new cup to fill up at the soda fountain, as she wasn't going to use it. I was thrilled. I know, it doesn't take much to make me happy.

So that is how two people with just two small, seemingly insignificant actions, made my day. So I'm going to try to return the favor by complimenting a stranger and doing something nice for someone else. Care to join me in practicing some random acts of kindness?

No comments:

Post a Comment