Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Simple, Delicious Eats

114_A

These dishes are what they call easy, breezy, beautiful...wait, that's a Cover Girl commercial. My bad.

But here is an oh-so-simple appetizer that also has the added benefit of being oh-so-French.

Start with some fresh, crisp radishes and add some soft butter and a small dish of sea salt.

123_A

Scrub the radishes, and then cut off the roots (yeah, I forgot to do a few of them; I'm what they call "far from perfect") and the green leafy part down to about an inch.

127_A

The stem will serve as a handle for dipping in the butter and salt. Sounds a bit odd, I know, but it's good, I promise.

135_A

You can also top a piece of toast with some butter and sliced radishes. Add salt, if needed (they really don't though, and you'll be hard-pressed to find me saying this). But this is one of my favorite breakfasts. Pretty much anything with toast wins me over. (Hello, toast with jam and cheddar cheese! Best. Meal. Ever. Maybe. The jury's still out on that one, or so I'm told.)

153_A

Another quick and simple side for dinner: blanched green beans with toasted sesame seeds. Boil the green beans for a few minutes until they turn bright green, then plunge them into a bowl of ice water for a minute or so. Take out the beans and drain, then place them in a bowl.

159_A

You don't have to toast the sesame seeds, but it's really so much better if you do. Just toss some seeds in a pan (sauté pan, frying pan; makes no difference), and then watch and stir until they start to brown.

Once the seeds brown, add them to the green beans.

165_A

If you want, add a few splashes of soy or seasoning sauce. Or even just some lemon juice. Yes, it really is this simple.

175_A

Stir about and enjoy. Easy, breezy...wait, that's that Cover Girl commercial again. I apologize. But it's all so delicious (and did I mention simple? Sorry, I'm getting old; I can't remember it all) and a great way to add a side or appetizer to your dinner party.

I'm heading out of town soon, and I hope to post from the road, but please check back in again.

1 comment: