Thursday, July 16, 2009

Pools and Things

07-11-09 059_A

It was too hot to do anything yesterday afternoon other than write or swim, and the former having escaped me earlier, I decided to take a dip in the neighbors' pool. Probably even better than having your own pool is having neighbors who have a pool (only if they let you use it, of course), as you get all the benefits of a pool without the hassle and maintenance.

07-11-09 062_A

So I popped over, and not long after I got in, I noticed that it was so hot that even the bees were drowning themselves in an effort to get some respite from the heat.

To give myself something to do, I started rescuing the bees from the pool. After all, these bees have important work to do in the garden, and seeing as how I was bored, I was thankful for the distraction. Swimming as exercise? Yeah, never heard of it.

07-11-09 044_A

Sometimes, all you need is a second chance and maybe a small life raft to keep you afloat (or leaf, in this case). This may be in the form of an email/text/phone call or letter/postcard for a long-lost friend, or maybe something entirely different.

But never underestimate the power of the little things. They have helped me tremendously, in case you need proof.

07-11-09 085_A

Truly, it's the little things that make the world go 'round. Take this bee I rescued, for example. It might be responsible for pollinating the vegetable plants I harvest in the garden.

07-11-09 088_A

Okay now, prepare for some strange things, my friends, as you may not have seen a bee up close like this before. But it's fascinating, right? Okay, maybe that's just me; I'm a bit of a science dork.

07-11-09 079_A

See this thing? It's a proboscis, in case you weren't sure (but I know you kids are smart) and the bees use it to harvest nectar.

And I'm not up on all my animal behavior literature, but I do remember this from my college classes: bees guide other bees to food sources by doing a specialized dance, and they use polarized light in addition to landmarks to orient themselves, which makes sense because the sun and other orbital objects change their position in the sky throughout the day, so they can't rely on solar or stellar orientation as the sole source of information as far as nectar is concerned.

07-11-09 080_A


Weird and cool all at the same time; who knew? Or maybe not. Please feel free to let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds refreshing! Could use a dip in the pool after my super sweaty yoga class.

    ReplyDelete