Thursday, July 2, 2009

Mary Had a Little Lamb

5-5-09 135_A

I meant to post these pictures a while back, but somehow time got away from me and I didn't get these up during springtime. And so now it's summer, and undoubtedly these lambs are all growns-up, but I'm sure they enjoyed frolicking in the green grass under sunny skies at Stone Barns.

5-5-09 137_A

I wonder what this lamb is smelling. Horses curl their lip up like this in when they are aware of a scent in the air. I imagine this little girl is doing the same. I call her Shelia.

5-5-09 121_A

The lamb on the right, Rambo (short for Rambunctious), is looking for something to head butt. I know a few people he could practice on.

5-5-09 040_A

This one has watched way too much "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." His mom should really regulate her offspring's viewing habits a leeeeetle more diligently.

5-5-09 074_A

"One of these kids is not like the others...." Can you spot the interloper?

5-5-09 107_A

Curly just loves showing off his nubby fur.

5-5-09 110_A

Little Baby Bebop naps in the grass.

Just a couple of more pictures. Then I'll stop, I promise.

5-5-09 130_A

Braveheart here got a bit curious and started walking over towards where I stood taking pictures. But then, all of a sudden a big, white blur comes bounding over the hill. Was it a bird, a plane?

5-5-09 140_A

Well, the loud, deep barking sort of gave it away. That "interloper" I mentioned before? She is actually not one at all. In fact, Stella is the guardian of the lambs, a job she seems to take quite seriously. She will plant herself between you and whatever lambs happen to be around. She kind of looks like she's giving me the evil eye here.

In case you are curious, she is a Maremma Sheepdog, which is a breed named after a region in Tuscany, not too far from the Great Pyrenees. Maremmas do not have a good reputation as pets, but according to Stone Barns' livestock manager, Stella is very sweet towards all of the people that work with the animals.

5-5-09 141_A

You're a good girl, Stella. Thanks for watching over these little guys.

3 comments: