Friday, July 10, 2009

Quick Dip

7-6-09 139_A

Remember how I said I was going to put strawberries in this star-shaped dish for the Fourth of July? I know it's been a while, but I didn't forget!

So without further ado, I present to you a quick and easy dip to make for serving with strawberries. It involves a total of 2 ingredients: yogurt and brown sugar.

7-6-09 124_A

My mom used to make this with sour cream, which you could certainly use, but since I didn't have any on hand, I used some plain lowfat yogurt.

In order to give the dip a creamier texture, I drained the water off the yogurt by placing a cone-shaped coffee filter inside an empty yogurt container, dumping some yogurt into the filter, and leaving it in the fridge for a day or so.

7-6-09 126_A


The result is a thicker yogurt that will stand up to dipping. This is the most important step in my opinion, so don't skip it! Although, you might be able to get by without straining it first if you use Greek yogurt.

7-6-09 136_A

I then added about a tablespoon of brown sugar to taste to the 1/2 cup or so of the yogurt. You can use this technique to make all sorts of savory dips for vegetables, just substitute dill or mint or cilantro or whatever you have on hand for the sugar. Let your tongue be your guide as far as how much flavor you want to have. Wait, I'm not sure that came out right.

7-6-09 140_A

Anyhoo...Is it okay if I double-dip if it's just me?

2 comments: