Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer Snack

8-25-09 262_A

The French have long promoted the use of melon and figs and prosciutto. And now I know why. It's genius, really, combining the saltiness of the meat with the sweetness of the fruit.

8-25-09 218_B

Three ingredients is all you need: fresh figs, a melon (I used a type of muskmelon, but a store-bought cantaloupe would work just as well) and some prosciutto. You could add some cheese or sliced baguette if you wanted to round this out into a more substantial appetizer or a light evening meal. This would also provide enough variation to accommodate vegans, vegetarians and carnivores, making it a very versatile plate.

I bought the figs and melon at Chino's over the weekend, but then last night a neighbor brought over some home-grown figs and lemons in exchange for some of the vegetables from my garden. I have to say, I really enjoy this bartering system.

8-25-09 283_A

I like the idea of using a knife to hold the prosciutto, as this way people can just tear off how much they want, and it's much easier than having long, thin strips out. Plus, I just think the presentation looks a little more edgy.

1 comment: