Monday, August 10, 2009

Mussels. In a Pot.

8-10-09 020_A

I made these mussels for a dinner party I hosted over the weekend. They were quite delicious, if I do say so myself.

The recipe isn't mine, after all. It's one that I snagged from Real Simple, but I'm going to copy it here for you. As you may know, I rarely take the time to measure; instead, I opt to eyeball most of the stuff, so nothing probably ends up being exact. But this recipe is forgiving with inexact measurements, and since it's so good, it's earned a permanent place in my recipe book. Try 'em, you'll like 'em. And don't be afraid to eat the tomatoes and onions with the bread either!

Mussels with Tomatoes and Olives

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 cut dry white wine
1 pound beefsteak tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
2 pounds mussels, scrubbed*
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 small baguette, warmed

Directions:

1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until just tender, 4-5 minutes.

2. Add the wine and simmer until slightly reduced, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and olives. Add the mussels and cook, covered, until they open, 3 to 4 minutes. Discard any mussels that remain closed. Stir in the parsley.

3. Divide the mussels and cooking liquid among the bowls. Serve with the bread.

Quick Tip: Refrigerate mussels as soon as you get them home from the store. If you can't cook them that night, remove the packaging, transfer them to a bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and keep in the refrigerator for no more than 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment