Monday, August 10, 2009

It's a Bird!

061_A

Let's take a trip back in time, shall we? We'll go back to my East Coast trip a while back (I'm not going to mention how long ago it was because I feel terribly guilty for not posting sooner).

So welcome to the Norman Bird Sanctuary, located in Middletown, RI. According to their pamphlet, the Sanctuary protects over 300 acres of various ecosystems including ridges, forests, thickets, fields, ponds, streams, salt marsh and sandy beach.

032_A

Established in 1949 at the bequest of Mabel Noman Cerio, the mission of the Sanctuary is "for the propagation, preservation and protection of birds, and where birds and bird life may be observed, studied, taught, and enjoyed by lovers of nature and by the public generally so interested in a spirit of humanity and mercy."

033_A

Sounds like the perfect place to live. When can I move in?

008_A

Along the main path and just beyond the main buildings pictured above, I stumbled across a small cemetary. Rhode Island is home to a number of small cemetaries in very random places.

027_A

I headed out towards the pond, where I saw, of all things, a pond! Shocking, I know.

037_A

The field in front had showed so much promise for viewing birds. But alas, though I could hear them, I couldn't seem to spot them.

026_A

Until up in the sky a silver bird appeared! Wait, that's not the kind of bird I was looking for. Neither were the man-eating mosquitoes that I kept slapping away from my legs. Apparently, a skirt was a bad idea.

030_A

Unfortunately, that was the only bird I saw. Heading back to the main buildings, I felt a bit dejected.

045_A

But then, across the street from the parking lot, I spotted a bird. Can you see it? Look closely at the birdhouse, second from the left.

048_A

A bright yellow spot in my day, unlike the sun, which failed to make an appearance my first day in Rhode Island.

So, boys and girls, what have we learned from this experience?

031_A

The parting thought this season: Check for Ticks! Ticks suck. Literally. So do man-eating mosquitoes.

1 comment: