Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Let's Get Dirty

4-12-10 014_A

No, not dirty in that way, but in all that other way, as in with actual dirt from the garden. This is the compost pile that I started last year for the garden. I got the compost bin from a friend who wasn't using it, and I immediately put it to use, adding vegetable scraps and yard clippings. There are actually a number of things that you can't put in the compost; generally speaking, you can't add fats or protein. Click here for more information on what items you can compost and their relative decomposition time. I can tell you from personal experience that egg shells take a long time to decompose, as do some paper products.

As per the usual, Charley and Lola were on hand to help out. And by help out, I mean they were just waiting for belly rubs.

4-12-10 019_A

I wish I had a video of the wriggling mass that has become the compost pile. There are so many worms it's hard to fathom. This was not started as a worm composting bin, meaning I didn't add worms myself, but somehow they found their way there.

It's hard to believe that a year ago this was just a jumble of leaves and grass clippings and stems from vegetables and dying flowers. But look! It's now teaming with life.

4-12-10 038

It's kind of magical, really. I can't wait to turn these guys loose in the garden, which is just starting to sprout some seeds. The sunflowers and radishes have been the first to come up so far.

4-12-10 083_A

But in case you don't find that picture of all the squirming worms anything close to magical, I will end this post with Charley. Because he has magical powers and can make anything better. Just look deep into his eyes if you don't believe me.

3 comments:

  1. He DOES have magical powers. And that first picture--OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to meet him. I'm gonna D-I-E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY CHARLEY AND LOLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete