Monday, February 22, 2010

Succulent Art

2-23-09 038_A

I took these pictures a while back when I went to visit The Water Conservation Garden at Cuyamaca College in El Cajon, CA.

But going through my folders of pictures, I was reminded of how I have been wanting to do a similar project for a while, and I figured if I post some pictures I might be inspired to follow through on it.

2-23-09 016_A

Sunset magazine published a great how-to article on how to make your own succulent art in the style of these framed pieces. Click here for the nine easy steps.

2-23-09 017_A

I just love how easy succulents are to propagate. For most types, you can just take some cuttings, stick them in water, and wait for the roots to grow. For the living art, you just need to pluck a few budding stems from your established plants and set them aside for a few days to dry out the root as Sunset suggests. Doesn't get much easier than that.

I also think it would be fun to plant succulents in random containers not traditionally used in the garden, just to create some additional whimsy. I will have to work on this soon. Check back later for updates, and if you have any experience with creating such living art, please feel free to share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment