Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dunguaire Castle, Ireland




Western coast of Ireland, late afternoon. I settle down into chair on the porch, wrapping myself in a throw blanket. I take a sip of tea and
gaze out at the castle across the water before reaching for my book and tucking in for a good read.

Okay, so that never really happened. I mean, I'd at least be having a glass of warm port instead of tea. But the daydream is nice. The reality wasn't nearly as romantic, as I just snapped this from the doorway of a bus while trying to avoid cars careening around the tight turns.

Castles are pretty common in Ireland, though this one is certainly less ornate than many others in the country. But this one is unique due to it's location on the coast near Galway. It's not the proximity to the coast that makes the castle unique, but it's on a piece of land that is not surrounded by water all day. In fact, when the bus drove by this place in the morning, it was surrounded by a bed of rocks. But by late afternoon, the tide had come in and created this beautiful reflection pool.

So that's all. A castle and a daydream.

No comments:

Post a Comment