Monday, September 28, 2009

Gazpacho

9-28-09 004_A

The last of the tomatoes are ripening on the vine, but I still need to use up the ones that I have already picked. So last night I made gazpacho for dinner, using Real Simple's Golden Gazpacho with Feta recipe as a starting point:

Ingredients
3 pounds yellow tomatoes (about 6), cut into large pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into large pieces
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
kosher salt and pepper
4 ounces feta, crumbled (1 cup)
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto and/or salami (optional)
8 bread sticks (optional)

Directions
1.Working in batches, puree the tomatoes and bell pepper in a food processor and transfer to a large bowl.

2.Stir in the vinegar and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Divide among serving bowls and top with the feta, basil, pine nuts, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

3.Serve with the prosciutto, salami, and bread sticks, if desired.

However, I didn't have enough yellow tomatoes, so I used about 3 small yellow tomatoes and about 3 large red tomatoes. Also, I only had a small amount of a red bell pepper, so I probably ended up with a proportion of 5 lbs. tomatoes:1 bell pepper instead of the 3:1 ratio called for above. I also added some dried red pepper flakes to give it a little kick.

I didn't toast the pine nuts, but given how good they are when they are toasted, I'd definitely recommend doing that. Oh, and it's good with prosciutto, if you're so inclined to have some.

1 comment: